HABIB provides jewellery with a variety range of Karats. Yes, we offer different Karats! The term ‘Karat’ is used to measure the purity of gold content that makes up our metal alloy. This means, the higher the Karat the purer the gold.

Still confused?
Here’s a simple guide to understand better the difference between 24k, 22k, 18k and 9k gold.


24K gold
The 24K or 999 gold refers to the purest gold in natural form that is categorized by a distinctive bright yellow colour. As it is 99.9% gold, that makes it naturally more expensive. There are no other impurities of other metals which makes the gold soft and pliable. This is why 24K/999 gold is not recommended in jewellery making because it might lose its intended shape. Therefore, 24K/999 gold is usually available in the form of gold bar, wafer and coins.

Fun fact: Did you know? Other than jewellery, 24K/999 gold is also used in electronics and medical devices, such as gold tympanostomy tubes used for children suffering from ear infections. It functions to improve aeration of the middle ear to lessen the pain.


22K gold
The 22K or 916 gold is generally used in local jewellery making. The 22K has about 91.66% of gold content. The remaining percentage, 8.34%, goes to other metals such as copper, zinc, nickel, silver and other metals. The combination of metals increases the 22K gold durability and toughness. Although this can be used to make plain gold jewellery, but 22K/916 gold isn’t preferable for diamonds and heavily studded jewellery. This is because it may not be able to hold the weight of the precious stone(s).


18K gold
The 18K or 750 gold has about 75.0% of gold content, while the remaining percentage goes to other metals such as copper, zinc, nickel and silver. Usually, studded jewellery and other diamond jewellery is made in 18K/750 gold. This kind of gold is less expensive compared to 24K/999 gold and 22K/916 gold, with relatively high purity and good durability.


9K gold
The 9K or 375 gold has about 37.5% of gold content, whereas the remaining percentage goes to other metals such as silver, tin, nickel, zinc, palladium etc. This is recommended if you put greater importance on price and affordability. Since 9K/375 jewellery contains less gold, it is more reasonably priced per gram.


Does a Higher Karat Mean Higher Quality Gold?
In simple terms, no. Though 24k/999 gold is the purest form of gold available, it does not mean it is of a higher quality. It means that there is more gold in it, and therefore it is more valuable. Typically, gold that is combined with other alloys is stronger. This is preferable especially for jewellery as the lower karats make a piece of jewellery more durable and last longer.